A lover of the roaring silences in life .... and passion for journaling about the minutiae of food, fitness & life...

Monday, October 17, 2011

Nike Half Marathon...nice necklace & more

Nike Women's Marathon DONE!  Long story short:  won a free entry from Athletic Soles & ClubOne.  Stressed about driving & parking at 4:45Am but it was a breeze.  Event was HUGE, first time ever I felt anxious about being trampled if anyone started to freak out or yelled 'fire', it was that cozy & close quarters.  Lots of crazy great energy & sooooo many ladies and first timers out there.  So many shapes, sizes & ages.  The course was scenic, a bit too many hills for me but maybe I'm just lazy.  I was sweating buckets, overcast & gray but warm.

  • Was thirsty before the start & gulped water at every aid station despite having super hydrated the day before with Nuun & water.  Gotta take a look at my hydration strategy for next event.   Three GU's, might need more & gummy bears & salt.
  • Outfit was perfect, exactly what I wear at home, no chafe or issues.  
  • Might need new shoes & socks, got blisters & hot spots near big toe, sore feet and soles for first time ever by mile 11.  
  • Shuffle said "battery low" after one hour, might need a new one as well, I think I wear out the battery blasting my music.

Felt really strong until mile 7/8 and then lost some steam but overall I just LOVED being out there running, with my music and so many other runners.  It was a dream.  I really like Mermaid & town sponsored events (SF, Santa Rosa, etc) a lot better.  Not a fan of the Nike Giant, their hugely expensive branded clothes & bloated crazy  confusing website (horrible) BUT love TnT and the 108 million raised.  I also LOVE the attention NWM gets and how many women go from couch to 13.1 miles, even if only for once in their life...they are out there.  I love that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak honestly so that we can all have a nice soul food chat...but play nice please, no meanies.