A lover of the roaring silences in life .... and passion for journaling about the minutiae of food, fitness & life...

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Mind Control



What a brilliant run today. Perfect weather, great legs, strong core...fun fun fun.  Most of all, I finally created the best cold weather running outfit for ME.  I've spent the past few cold runs with a long sleeved shirt half on, then off, then tied around my waist (which I hate), and a few times I was ready to just chuck a great piece of running gear because it being on my person was just screwing up my run mojo. I am a tanktop workout junkie, can't have my arms covered, even in pouring rain or cold.  So today I put together this outfit: arm warmers, running tanktop, fleece vest, gloves.  Perfection.  Wish I had gone longer & farther but had a lot to do before I picked up kiddo from school & honestly, my mind was racing with so many things I had/wanted to do I could not muscle the resolve to run for another hour.

I do LOVE the matter of simple mind control, LOVE.  I truly believe exercise is 90% mental and only 10% body if that (man, I wish my 10% body wasn't afflicted with achilles and hip issues but I hate to be nit-picky).  I have only been able to run for the past few years because I have changed my way of thinking in regards to running.  It is no longer physical for me, it is a mental game and has been since I spent 6 + hours in the rain at Portland Marathon.  Now, I run because I want to & I need to and I make my body follow, even if it isn't willing!

Today I wrapped up my run at 6 miles but wasn't feeling done, since I had hoped to do 10-12 and I had the time but I had other things I wanted to do.  So basically I felt like I was ditching my commitment...soooooo I started the silent chant "I OWN you!" to my legs and feet and made them do 2 more miles and it felt awesome.  It wasn't 10 but it was a brillant 8 :-)  My two favorite phrases to scream silently in my head are "I OWN you!" and of course the American Pie favorite "Say my name B*&ch!"  Works for me in getting my feet to move onward! :-) Also the pic below is gonna be a new mantra, from myself to myself...getting out of my own way is always a good thing & usually ends up a huge success.


*Looking to take a long Thanksgiving morning run and an even longer Sunday run after all the eating & gluttonous partying.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak honestly so that we can all have a nice soul food chat...but play nice please, no meanies.