A lover of the roaring silences in life .... and passion for journaling about the minutiae of food, fitness & life...

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Mojo...

Even though last week, I ran 11 miles (and before that 13, before that 12, 11, 10...so I'm no slouch) ~ lately I had been feeling like I lost my running mojo or it was hibernating.  No idea why, it was only a few days lag, maybe coming off Nike Half or the fact that I have been rolling a lot on my bike & loving it so much (I almost feel like I am cheating on running, oy vey).  I dunno.  Last week I took two big bike rides, a short swim, a long walk and a short 3 miler in the scorching sun and STILL felt like I had lost my mojo.  I'm not sure what it is but there is a big difference for me in waking up in the morning and feeling this pulsating energy of "nothing is going to stop me from a long awesome run today!!!" and " oh, hmmm I guess I 'should' run today, I 'need' to get in a long run, buuuuuut..." My marathon buddy is at 15 milers right now and I envy her get'up and go, lately I feel my "get up & go has gone up & went", to quote a Hallmark birthday card.

Yesterday I drove to Spring Lake for a run, not keen on the drive when I could just as easily walk out my front door & run but I thought the scenery & the fact that everyone there running, walking or stroller'ing it might motivate me.  I spent too much time dorking around & so by the time I got on the trail it was warm & in that sluggish late morning zone.  I set out, my original plan of a looong run geared down to 'whatever' I ended up doing.  Once I was out there, after a few water stops & Gu, I felt IT.  I felt my mojo, I was happy to be there, the 'should' faded away and was replaced by my favorite feelings of "I LOVE running, I love being out here, I feel free and this is absolutely the exact way I want to spend my time right now!"  YEAH!  Overall I ran 2 hrs~10.2 miles, not breaking any speed records for sure but man it felt AWESOME.  I finished so much stronger than I started which always rocks.  I still had gas in my tank for 3 or 4 miles but I didn't have the time.  Always so much better to run out of time before stamina, woooohooooo.  It was just what I needed.

Was supposed to bike today but woke with sore legs (and a pain in my ass, lingering hamstring issue) and my riding buddy felt more like yoga than biking today.  It is gorgeous outside and I always feel guilty about not soaking up gorgeous biking weather, something I have to contend with (feelings of guilt when I am not being 100% productive every day, a bad SAHM habit :-)  So I took the day off from fitness (I was going to swim but never made the trek) and it is surprising to me how many hours are in a free day when you aren't off running, biking or swimming...crazy! Worked on my house like mad, felt good to literally clean house in a lot of ways.

Still dealing with the lingering hamstring issue which doesn't hamper my running or biking but aches a lot and is a pain.  I am trying not to get too stressed or anxious about 26.2 in January and if my body will happily & healthily be able to accomplish that distance.  Pondering....

SLEEP, gotta sleep more, going to bed at 1am is not the same as going to bed at 11pm...gotta hammer that into my brain!

Also pondering diet & how to eat as close to whole foods and healthy as possible, especially heading into the danger zone of the holiDAZE.  I love really tasty favorite holiday foods but I loathe the way I stuff my face with junk (like gross packaged onion dip or fruitcake) that I seem to eat even if I don't like it.  I am really hoping to fill this season with insanely healthy & great tasting foods & dishes, whole foods that reflect the season and brim with wonderful flavors.  Foods that fill up my body & my heart with holiday goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak honestly so that we can all have a nice soul food chat...but play nice please, no meanies.