A lover of the roaring silences in life .... and passion for journaling about the minutiae of food, fitness & life...

Thursday, December 22, 2011

FAT is a feminist issue...

Covert Baily, Fat is a feminist issue....I always remember that book title from my mom's bookshelf :-). Loved a little ditty from a blogger today....woman just had a baby 3 wks ago and was sitting down nursing and texted her friend "I feel fat." Her friend texted back "Fat is NOT a feeling. How do you FEEL?"

Fat is not a feeling. So true and yet so hard to understand and make peace with. At the doctor yesterday I got weighed, and sadly I felt a twinge of anger at the #... Currently I am in the best shape of my adult life, lots of muscles....strong legs, calves, core, back. Only thing I would love to sculpt & define are my jiggly mom arms.
Other than that, nothing. Sure I have miles of cellulite on my thighs but that's just bad genetics, nothing gonna make that go away, aside from surgery or a wish from a genie lamp. Not 10 mile runs or 25 mile bike rides or skipping breakfast. Nothing. So why oh why did I feel dejected at my scale weight when the only thing on my entire human body I wish to alter (and can) is my arms? I think it's a chick thing, sad to say. Yup, some dudes go thru it too but I think a majority of it is women. We are taught that fat IS a feeling & a state of mind from a young age. So not true. If you move, groove & get your blood pumping & feel good in your skin, and love your mind & body & spirit~you should feel like a rock star. Simple as that. I wish it were that easy.
I do know for me, I have stopped wasting valuable energy & brain space on pondering my weight or the space my ass takes up in this world. If I put on jeans that are too tight, I pull them off, throw on black tights & a dress & feel fabulous. If I'm not feeling sexy in my swimsuit, I spend money on a gorgeous cover-up dress or sarong and rock that instead. "Making what ya got work & working what ya got"... My motto right now, at the highly enlightened age of a fabulous 38... :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak honestly so that we can all have a nice soul food chat...but play nice please, no meanies.