A lover of the roaring silences in life .... and passion for journaling about the minutiae of food, fitness & life...

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Rodota Sunshine Run


Gorgeous run today, perfect running weather.  Brilliant sunshine but cool temps, enough to not crazy overheat.  Got on the trail by 8:45am, early for a weekend~hard to tear myself away from the family.  I gotta plan for more mid-week long runs when dad is at work and dude is in school.

Overall, a great run but I was secretly shooting for 15-16 and ended up just shy of 14.  Not too shabby for a workout but not too great for marathon training.  As I wrapped up the run I kept thinking to myself "can't you pull out another 2 miles?"  The answer was a resounding "nope."  During the run I felt great, no real issues aside from the standard: slight yelps from achilles & just being tired/ a bit bored (despite the gorgeous scenery & being out RUNNING!) and needing to push myself to keep going.  Hard to look at your watch and think "oh wow, wrapped up an hour...only 2 more to go!)  Que thoughts of the English Patient, about as long as I run...would always choose to run for 3 hrs vs. EVER watch that movie again.  I brought along water (big bonus, turns out I am a hydration hog), gummies, Gu and pretzels. I could tell I didn't eat breakfast (bad I know) by mile 7, I was bonking.  Won't make that mistake again.  Had a few funny crazy thoughts...one guy rode by on his bike and I thought "wow! how unsafe to be biking without a life vest!"  Then I realized I was thinking of the wrong sport, got a good laugh out of that for a few minutes that pushed me along.  I also decide that in the last 2 miles I would end at Coffee Catz and get a latte, so my mind kept chanting "will run for coffee, will run for coffee..."

Really going to try and make running performance my priority.  By that I mean not just running but sleeping and eating.  I have been eating whatever I want due to being so hungry from ramping up running.  I really want to make smarter, healthier choices, less dairy/meat/sugar and lots more veggies & lean protein.  Also WATER WATER WATER.  More Nuun too, when I had a stockpile of Nuun I drank way more water, gotta buy more Nuun.

Felt Ok about the 13.6m until I heard my marathon buddy ran 17.5m...When it comes to running I have zero competition, for distance or time.  The past few years I haven't felt that zing of jealousy or competition in really any area of my life...kids, jobs, fitness skill, Jean size...just don't feel the high school pull of envy at all any more.  Yet, when I saw that she ran 17.5 I could not help but think my run wasn't 'good enough.'  So NOT true I know but still felt a twinge.  Good thing to pay attention to, breathe through it, pat myself on the back, pop ibuprofen (sore!) and adventure on at my own pace & on my own journey.  Enjoying it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak honestly so that we can all have a nice soul food chat...but play nice please, no meanies.