A lover of the roaring silences in life .... and passion for journaling about the minutiae of food, fitness & life...

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Being Human

Ran the 10k Human Race today for the umpteenth time but it was the first time I ran it solo.  Usually I run with Ladykins or Awesome but this year if I was going to do it, it would be solo.  Wasn't even sure I was going to run it until I actually got out the door the morning of.  Stayed up late the night before giving myself an out if 6:15am came too early...but I got up, showered, ate (learned my lesson at P10) and just kinda pushed myself out the door without the option of bailing.  It was a gorgeous morning and although I had butterflies about going it alone (always so much fun to share race energy with someone) I was SO happy I did it once I got to the race.  So many people, costumes, energy, strollers, dogs, kids and the most perfect spring weather.  It was totally rad and I was so proud of myself for going it alone.

Usually I just have the goal of starting & finishing a race but lately I have felt this teeny tiny buzz of competition building in my belly.  "What if..." the bubbling seems to say, what if you tried a bit harder, pushed it a bit, went for it when you felt good, what if...I lap swim like I run, sloooooow but the other day I power swam the last 4 laps of my workout and I was hauling and it was exhilarating.  Surprised myself that I could actually pull it out when I want to.  For the 10k I felt great, body had zero issues (with the exception of my top of the foot constant ache, getting it checked out next week) and I felt strong and comfortable.  Did hit the restroom twice which ate up time and I blame it on nerves, since I secretly knew I was going to try a bit harder on this run.  I really did push it for myself, I sped up when I felt good and I kicked it to high gear on the downhills.  Usually I just casually jog behind people but today if people were going too slow or I felt they were making me go slow, I politely passed them and it felt empowering and energizing.  Overall the race was stellar, have no idea what my time was, I need to look that up but I felt fabulous.  I sprinted the final .2 and when I hit the finish I had so much more power, I could have gone a few more miles.  Always the best feeling.

Since I was solo I lounged at the after faire and got two huge bags of swag, had a lengthy conversation with Saucony rep about minimalist shoes (awesome info), met an old teacher from SSU counseling & really felt great about seeing her (I think of her often as she is the one who hooked me on saying "kiddos" before I even had one).  I'm also proud of myself for doing the 'right' thing.  I walked past the greyhound rescue booth and saw the man & his wife who helped me adopt Ari who got returned for biting dude.  At first I felt shy and walked on by thinking I would just let it go but then I turned around and walked up and said "Hi John..." and they were wonderful, I had not spoken with them since I returned Ari & assumed they thought I was an awful dog person.  They could not have been nicer and I left chatting with them feeling great about my decision and also proud to have not skirted the encounter.

The race itself is just an overall awesome event and is so well coordinated & fun.  I loved the costumes, the energy, the 'feel' of this being a huge community event, I enjoyed being lapped by energetic 10 yr old soccer players who bobbed and weaved through the crowd before they pooped out at mile 4.  I teared up near the end when I ran next to one of the centipede running teams and I read their banner "Support group for young widows & widowers" and felt so thankful for my current state of happiness and fullness of life.  For most of the race I was behind a man in a bright yellow t-shirt with the words on the back "Change a life~Be a Foster Parent" and I have been toying with that idea for a little while, to run behind those words for close to 6 miles made me go "hmmmmmmm....."

2 comments:

  1. Time was 1:02 which isn't awful but I was secretly hoping for the 55-58 min range, less than an hour BUT I think each restroom stop was 3-4 minutes at least...so that would have put me under. I like this new feeling of inner competitive spirit and wanting to shave minutes off my time and speed up, I have never had this type of gonzo gusto before, it's fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NTS: Bookmark
    http://www.runningoffthereeses.com/

    Funny running site I just stumbled on that referenced lame magnum commercial, snookie, modern family & princess catherine all in one posting.

    "There are city people here and then people who live on the Island. Island people are people who are too poor to live in California and typically fancy themselves to be surfers and hippies and talk like Seth Rogan."

    ReplyDelete

Speak honestly so that we can all have a nice soul food chat...but play nice please, no meanies.